0008 Middlesex Tennis Return to Managed Play
July 15, 2020
Tennis is gradually opening up, and our statement below shows our efforts to reintroduce activity to the county. However there is still a risk, so please:
· Continue to maintain social distancing.
· Do not play if you are self-isolating or experiencing symptoms
County Training has now resumed for players born 2011 to 2007. For more information please see our County Training Page.
We will review in the upcoming weeks and intend to re-launch the full programme from September.
We will not be running any trials in July or August as we do not think it is safe to do so with current restrictions. We will resume trials from September.
Please see our selection policies on our Selection Policy Page.There may be some adjustments in light of the lack of competitions in the past 6 months.
Born 2011 or Later – please see information on our Babolat Middx Mini Masters series.
Born 2010 or Earlier – Please see information on our Middx Junior Masters.
If you have players who you think may be of a suitable standard,please email email@example.com
As of Monday 13th July,
- Some formats of competition will be able to resume before others, and LTA Local Tennis Leagues, LTA Youth Box Leagues and internal singles and doubles box leagues/ladders can be played as long as they adhere to the guidelines in place
- LTA approved competitions (Grade 6) such as Matchplays and County & District Leagues can now take place outdoors, inline with the Government’s guidance on organising outdoor sport and physical activity participation events.
- Friendly matches between Clubs/Counties, Team Challenge, Quorn Family Tennis Cup and Internal Club Competition can also now restart outdoors in line with the Government’s guidance.·
In Middlesex we are therefore planning and implementing the following:
Grade 6 Matchplays
Babolat Middx Mini Masters up to 2010-born Players
Our Babolat Middx Mini Masters Tour resumes.
Selected grade 6 events for 8U to 10U age groups. Effort will be made to match players in the draw.
This will expand to include Graded tournaments when they restart with a Tier 1 and Tier 2.
Middx Junior Masters 2010 to 2002-born Players
Middx Open Masters – All
Over August, we are planning a number of qualifying events in the 11U to Open Age groups.
Top performing players will be invited to a finals event from 23rd to 30th August at Hazelwood Sports Club.
A list of confirmed events will be available on our website as soon as possible.
Anyone can enter the qualifying events with only Middlesex Players being eligible for the Finals.
Inter County Matches
We are scheduling a number of Inter-County Matches with local counties.
Planning for Winter 2020 has started, and club main contacts will be e-mailed Entry Information and related guidelines over the next two weeks.
We have decided not to organise any official Inter-club competitions over the summer:
- Clubs have experienced an influx of members with many clubs reporting 80-90% of court time being used. A general feeling is most clubs want to focus on internal competitions.
- There is still restrictions on travel which may make it difficult for some players to travel to other venues, especially those without cars. And car shares are not currently advised.
- We do encourage clubs to host and invite local clubs for friendly matches.
Please do email through photos and videos of success stories with friendlies which we can share via our communication channels.
Wider Updates – See Full LTA Guidance here.
Following the LTA update on 13th July 2020, please note,
All LTA competitions (grade 1 to 5) up to Monday 31st August 2020 have been cancelled including:
- LTA County Week (20-24 July)
- LTA O35s County Cup (Ladies 31 Jul-2 August; Men 21-23 August)
- East Gloucester Grade 2
- Ilkley Grade 2
- County Championships 23-30th August
- Junior National Championships
- All Weeklong Grade 3 and 4 Competitions
- Middlesex Tennis Summer League 2020
- Middlesex Summer Cup 2020
- Middlesex Tennis Summer Vets 2020
- LTA National League (Adults & Juniors)
- The LTA Seniors County Cp (40s to 75s Age Groups)
- The Senior Tennis GB Inter-club League
- The LTA County Cup - 9U, 10U, 11U, 12U & 14U
- South East Team Trophy 16U
- The Road to Wimbledon Venue Stage and County Finals
LTA British Tours will be treated differently, to provide elite players with matches in an appropriately controlled environment. Read more here.
The LTA are looking reviewing options with regards to Junior National Championships and if it may be possible to rearrange.
Groups of up to 15 children are now possible for junior coaching.
Adult group coaching remains limited to groups of 6.
Clubs and Venues can now host larger groups for outdoor sport and physical activity participation events such as club nights and competitions, as long as they follow guidance to ensure they are CO-VID-19secure.
Indoor courts and bubble courts, and other indoor facilities such as gyms will be able to open from Saturday 25 July. See more here.