Performance > Performance Support
Fitness and Nutrition - Steve Green
Middlesex Tennis have enlisted the services of Steve Green, a former Olympian and as a fitness coach has worked with Top ATP/WTA players as well as a number of British Juniors. He will be visiting County Training sessions for 9U to 14U and providing and Introduction to Fitness / Nutrition session to players and parents alike.
Steve and the County Cup captains may also identify players in particular need of Strength and Conditioning and provide some funded individual player support and advice on how to start a fitness programme.
Steve has produced a short series of Resources for Middlesex Parents and Players to assist your tennis lifestyle.
These are available in the Resources Section. Password available on request to email@example.com.
Middlesex Tennis High Performance Player Grant Scheme
2020 Performance Grants have been awarded to players.
On March 1st, 2018 Middlesex Tennis launched its High Performance Player Grant Scheme which is aimed towards junior players who continue to demonstrate commitment in representing the County within the Junior and Senior Team Competition and who follow a national/international competition programme.
Players can apply for a grant of up to £1000 (Maximum award) pa.
A decision of awarding grant funding will be based on the following:
- Players must be competing second year 12U and older (Up to 18U)
- Players must have held a top 100 national ranking at 1st January 2020
- Players must demonstrate commitment, quality and attention to a high quality programme including tennis and fitness
- Players must demonstrate a track record of supporting the county in team events previously and demonstrate commitment to do so in the future
- For 2020 to recognise the achievement of winning the LTA Champions Race 2019, priority will be given to players who represented Middlesex at LTA County Cup Events.
The decision will be made by the sub-committee (John Love, Andrew Lewandowski, Louise Hutchinson + relevant age group captain)
Considerations for 2020
- Player's receiving the Performance Grant must make themselves available for County Cup selection
- Applications must be signed by a player's Lead Coach
Middlesex Tennis are looking to provide tournament support to groups of Middlesex Tennis players competing at Regional and National Tournaments.
Andrew Lewandowski and the relevant age group captain will discuss which tournaments to visit and this will be communicated to the relevant players ahead of the tournament.
The county cup captain will be able to assist with match warm up , observations, post-match review and provide feedback to players (and player’s individual coach if requested).
Bursaries (covering up to 50% of the total cost) will be made available for coaches working with Performance Players and have shown a commitment to Middlesex Tennis. Details of how to apply will be made available shortly.
Clubs and Performance Centres
Mini Tennis Grant
Middlesex Clubs with successful Mini Tennis programme have been invited to apply for a grant between £3k - £7k. The grant must be used to subsidise costs to players and organise and run new initiatives in order to bring players onto the pathway earlier.
Strength and Conditioning Support
Middlesex Tennis will be able to part-fund a visit by Steve Green to a Club with a junior programme and be able to provide coaches and S+C instructors with advice on tennis-specific fitness, how to work with players and incorporate into coaching programmes.